04/10/14, 05:23 PM   #1
Regretfulone
Some feedback on an idea.

Hey guys, I am completely new to the addOn scene but after looking at the API references and thinking back on some of my in game experiences, one of the things that I find most frustrating is when you are at a crafting station and are trying to figure out whether the trait on an item is something you already know without having to jump between multiple menus or windows.

Now what I was thinking was trying my hand at an addOn that would display if the trait on an item is already known. What I need to know though is whether we can modify the default windows or not. In the same way that Provisioning Recipes show that they are already known, I want weapons and armor to display a small tip almost identically if not identically to the way recipes do.

So feedback I am looking for is:

1. Is this something you also have experienced
2. Is this something you would use
3. Is it possible to have an addOn modify the default windows in the manner I explained above

Really appreciate any help you can offer!
04/10/14, 05:43 PM   #2
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think an addon that does this already exists.

So it will either give you an idea of how you can do it if you want to use this project as your learning tool, or you can just use it and it might give you some ideas on how it can be improved upon.
04/10/14, 05:48 PM   #3
Regretfulone
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I think an addon that does this already exists.

So it will either give you an idea of how you can do it if you want to use this project as your learning tool, or you can just use it and it might give you some ideas on how it can be improved upon.
I did see after I posted this the addOn that I believe you are talking about. It is slightly different though in that it tells you that you have acquired a new item that has a trait you can research. What I want is when the mouse hovers over an item, how the item tooltip window appears, and at a quick glance you would be able to see whether it is a trait that is already known. I might take a look at the other one though and deconstruct it because it would be my first addOn and you are right that it would be a good way to learn.

So I am assuming from some of the other addOns I have flipped through that you can modify standard windows. I'll have to pull some apart and see how they do it then.

EDIT: Just searched the addOns for crafting and found the one you mentioned. So I see someone else did have the idea haha, but I will still attempt to make it myself and again flip through the files on how he created his to learn.

Last edited by Regretfulone : 04/10/14 at 06:01 PM.
04/11/14, 06:14 AM   #4
Vicster0

As for the Tooltip portion of what you are looking for in an addon, I'm working on an addon right now that may be able to do this in the future. Fair warning, working with the Tooltips in this game is not very user friendly.
04/11/14, 07:06 AM   #5
Regretfulone
Okay well thank you for letting me know at least. I mean I am still going to have to start at square one and figure all of this out on top of my idea. If you had any suggestions on a guide for someone new to addOn development I would not be opposed. Otherwise I will just figure it out haha (but it will take a lot longer)
04/11/14, 09:44 AM   #6
Vicster0

I think I would recommend starting with ResearchAssistant and reading through the code to understand, as best as possible, how it is working. Then you just need to translate how it displays this information to a ToolTip instead of to InventoryListItems and such.

Once I release the first version of my AddOn, it may be worth while going through it as well to understand the Tooltip piece. Or as you said, you can just start with the API and zgoo for now. :P

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Some feedback on an idea.