Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
05/20/14, 10:04 AM   #1
zgrssd
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addons Communicating Guildwide via Member Notes?

It is general knowledge that addons running on different clients cannot communicate with one another effectively.
While they can send mail (1/5 seconds due to spam protection), this is not very fast.
While they could easily parse chat messages, the top they can do with the chat sending is prepare a message for you that you have to commit via enter or write soemthing that only appears on your client (d() or CHAT_SYSTEM:AddMessage).

But recently somebody asked if we could make a Guild Callendar Addon. And I noticed something:
Addons can communicate to some degree via the Guild Member Notes!
Specifically SetGuildMemberNote(integer guildId, luaindex memberIndex, string note) is totally allowed (there is no indication this is private, propably because one needs to have an addon to parse the events to even notice chagnes there)

There is also an Event Called EVENT_GUILD_MEMBER_NOTE_CHANGED, but the arguments are not fully known (so I cannot say if it would get Changed Member Nots of other users). If not, a polling approach might be feasible (check one member every X MS, start from beginnign ocne you reached end).

We would need a way to serialise & deserilaise the data, wich is not that hard.

We would need to know what exactly the Character limit for Member notes are.
Edit: Tested it. The Textbox to enter only allows 254 Characters. It is likely to be the limit of the Database too, but testing if direct set can exceed this limit won't hurt.

Optionally, the Addons should only affect the member note after a certain "#tag" one puts in the note. That way normal use data (what you normally write there) could stay around, leaving only stuff past a certain Threshold to be used for sending/receving).

Unfortunately I still have to finish my first Addon or risk it becomming an eternal work in Progress. But if anybody else would want to figure out if my Theory works (or has already used it), I would appreciate results.

Last edited by zgrssd : 05/21/14 at 07:35 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Addons Communicating Guildwide via Member Notes?