03/23/19, 01:48 PM   #1
Rhyono
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[open] Change saved vars file

The indention in the saved vars is done by 4 spaces per level. Why not use tabs? I took a 1.5MB save file, converted every 4 spaces to 1 tab and the file size was literally halved.

I don't know how much those extra characters affect load/save times, but even if they don't: I know I wouldn't mind the extra HDD space.
03/23/19, 05:00 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Does ESO support shrinked lua files (removing all spaces where not needed?), like minimzed javascript files e.g.?
Maybe one can even minimize the files of the SVs then (if you like to cuz it breaks readability).
03/28/19, 03:38 PM   #3
Drummerx04
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Does ESO support shrinked lua files (removing all spaces where not needed?), like minimzed javascript files e.g.?
Maybe one can even minimize the files of the SVs then (if you like to cuz it breaks readability).
Yes, the Lua interpreter in ESO does support a "shrunken" format. The language grammar itself does not set any requirements on the presence of whitespace beyond using a single whitespace character to separate two s-expressions.

Most programming languages that I've seen have no specific requirements for whitespace with python and makefiles being the most notable exceptions.

On an interesting side note: Code65536 and I encountered a bug (that we haven't seen again) where the saved variable files actually got written to disk without the formatting whitespace.
03/28/19, 04:36 PM   #4
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by Drummerx04 View Post
On an interesting side note: Code65536 and I encountered a bug (that we haven't seen again) where the saved variable files actually got written to disk without the formatting whitespace.
It's not a bug, it's a feature of the new auto-save. It skips writing whitespace characters in order to save time.
03/28/19, 04:58 PM   #5
Rhyono
Well if ZOS found writing whitespace to be that much slower, then cutting the whitespace down by 75% is important.
03/28/19, 06:54 PM   #6
Drummerx04
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
It's not a bug, it's a feature of the new auto-save. It skips writing whitespace characters in order to save time.
Oh nice. I knew they had added auto-save, but I wasn't sure whether that was the cause. Thanks!

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [open] Change saved vars file