01/18/21, 11:29 PM   #1
G.T. Gizra
Help, Minion download folder issues

I am having issues with my Minion. It is downloading the addons to D:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns which is where I had set it to and they are going into that destination folder but they are not showing as active when I play on the server. If anyone else is having similar issues now or in the past and have solved it I would appreciate if they would respond to this post. Thank you in advance for your attention and help.
01/19/21, 12:44 AM   #2
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Open minion and click the "+" plus symbol directly under the word "Minion" in bold letters. Then it asks you to select a game, and then you manually specify where the AddOns folder is. Close minion after you properly select the AddOns folder. After you open it then it should work.
01/19/21, 12:57 AM   #3
Sharlikran

Open minion and click the "+" plus symbol directly under the word "Minion" in bold letters. Then it asks you to select a game, and then you manually specify where the AddOns folder is. Close minion after you properly select the AddOns folder. After you open it then it should work.

EDIT: Your title is misleading. You are not having issues with minion and it download into the proper folder.

I have no idea how to resolve that other then closing the game completely and then going to C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live

Originally Posted by G.T. Gizra View Post
It is downloading the AddOns to D:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns
I did also just noticed the path you shared with us. That is not the proper folder. The fact it is on the D drive also implies you moved your Documents folder.

Code:
[1]:[2]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns
[1]: is the drive but if you move this the game may not recognize it. I didn't program the game but you may need to check your configuration for windows and revert anything back to default. I won't know how to do that, you will need to google it.
[2]: There should be Users\[username] so if your PC username is also Gizra then it would be "C:\Users\Gizra\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live"

The game is going to update AddOnSettings.txt when you enable and disable mods. So first if nothing shows up then that's because from what I can tell you configured windows to use a different documents folder. So the game itself can't see the mods you download. Then even if you get that fixed the game needs to see the AddOnSettings.txt in the same folder where AddOns is located. If the game can not see the folder and that file then what you expect to happen will not happen.

If you put %localappdata% in the windows explorer that will take you to "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local" and from there you know where windows is looking for things. So then go to "C:\Users\[username]" and then go to the MyDocuments fodler. From there that is probably where the game is looking and you should work from that default folder.
01/19/21, 03:01 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
This is nothing Minion related but depended on your Windows setup and where you have installed ESO, what drives you are using and/or your antivirus etc. is setup.

You need to make sure you have the correcta ddons folder chosen. This can only be tested ingame e.g like described here at the "Why can't I see any addons inside the game's AddOn manager?" headline:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8858
and in many other threads.
01/19/21, 08:07 PM   #5
G.T. Gizra
Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post

EDIT: Your title is misleading. You are not having issues with minion and it download into the proper folder.

I have no idea how to resolve that other then closing the game completely and then going to C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live

I did also just noticed the path you shared with us. That is not the proper folder. The fact it is on the D drive also implies you moved your Documents folder.

Code:
[1]:[2]\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns
[1]: is the drive but if you move this the game may not recognize it. I didn't program the game but you may need to check your configuration for windows and revert anything back to default. I won't know how to do that, you will need to google it.
[2]: There should be Users\[username] so if your PC username is also Gizra then it would be "C:\Users\Gizra\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live"

The game is going to update AddOnSettings.txt when you enable and disable mods. So first if nothing shows up then that's because from what I can tell you configured windows to use a different documents folder. So the game itself can't see the mods you download. Then even if you get that fixed the game needs to see the AddOnSettings.txt in the same folder where AddOns is located. If the game can not see the folder and that file then what you expect to happen will not happen.

If you put %localappdata% in the windows explorer that will take you to "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local" and from there you know where windows is looking for things. So then go to "C:\Users\[username]" and then go to the MyDocuments fodler. From there that is probably where the game is looking and you should work from that default folder.
Thank you for your answer, but please don't tell me I must move everything to my C drive as I specifically load everything to D drive as I have a twin drive system and the C drive is the smaller of the two and I don't want to fill it up with unnecessary junk programming. Up until the end of 2020 I had no problem with running everything off the D drive I am not sure whether I inadvertently did something wrong when I downloaded Minion again or if something changed in the coding to interfere with what I do on a regular basis with all my programs. Anything OS related goes on C as it is only 128 gigs and everything else goes on D as it is 1 tera in size. I have Minion loaded on D as I specifically changed the install folder for it from C to D when I downloaded it this last time. I also have Steam, GOG, and all my games loaded on D and it all runs fine. Just Minion that is giving me fits, and from what a guildmate told me when I mentioned it to them there are others in one of his other guilds that are having similar issues with Minion not registering downloaded addons properly.
01/19/21, 08:26 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by G.T. Gizra View Post
Just Minion that is giving me fits, and from what a guildmate told me when I mentioned it to them there are others in one of his other guilds that are having similar issues with Minion not registering downloaded addons properly.
Yeah and that's the solution then for you as it seems: Blame the software and the helping answers, because others say the software is the cause, instead of reading and trying what we povide as help
Why did you even start a forum thread then if your guild mates already solved the unsolvable problem for you

Just as a matter of fact: I run Minion on 3 PCs, drives c standard install folder c:\users...\appdata, non standard install folder directly at c:\Minion, drive d non standard install folder. All work well since 2014.

It's not Minion, it's your setup and software installed on your local computer and what you have chosen it to be, like moving the documents folder somewhere else, using symlinks, antivirus blocks, windows updates, OneDrive enabled moving the documents folder there ... and and and.
The same could apply to every other software. And Minion definately supports installations in the non-standard install directory.

Read this first and check all is done correctly on your side:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082

Then delete your Minion.log file and Minion.xml file.
Re-download Minion 32bit version! not 64bit. Install Minion to your D:\Minion folder.
Add the Minion install dir to your antiviru whitelist & firewall whitelist.

Afterwards:
>Read my LAST answer please, follow the link, read what is described there to find your correct addons folder!

After you found your addons folder:
Start Minion as administraor/with priviledged rights (not really needed but could be).
Select the game ESO, select the folder you fond with your addons that the game will find, and do not expect it to be any other folder. If you read how to detect the addon folder via the ingame screenshot workaround e.g. you will know what the game thinks is the folder
Point Minion to this folder.
After scanning click on teh gear icon at the top right edge of Minion, set the scan depth for addons to the maximum.

If addons are not shown within Minion then jst close Minion after ~3 minutes and restart it. Repeat start and close a few times if still nothing is in the list. It sometimes takes a while.
If it still does not work you either got some other software installed that disturbes Minion or there is some other problem.

Attach the Minon.log and minion.xml files here then like described in the Minion thread how to report Minion problems properly.
01/19/21, 08:40 PM   #7
G.T. Gizra
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
This is nothing Minion related but depended on your Windows setup and where you have installed ESO, what drives you are using and/or your antivirus etc. is setup.

You need to make sure you have the correcta ddons folder chosen. This can only be tested ingame e.g like described here at the "Why can't I see any addons inside the game's AddOn manager?" headline:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8858
and in many other threads.
Thank you so much for the answer Baertram I doublechecked using the demonstrated filepath name in your instructions substituting D for C and found the addon folder my Minion was using but that I had incorrectly identified on the folder path on my options tab to download addons to when I had recently downloaded Minion.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Tutorials & Other Helpful Info » Help, Minion download folder issues