04/27/23, 10:11 AM   #1
Anceane

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
has a set height but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use res

has a set height but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use resizeToFitConstrains="X"

So, yesterday suddenly started a series of crash with no error from Libdebuglogger.

So i checked directly the error.log and interface.log from the game itself, and i found out that each time i crashed, there was this message given for an addon or ZOS.

Not the same each time, but each time a crash certainly.

So is this possible that the resizeToFitDescendents mentionned in the messages from Interface.log make me crash ?

Thank you

Last edited by Anceane : 04/27/23 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Title too long
04/27/23, 11:17 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Could be, not sure. ZOs would have to answer this.
Are you abe to see from the log what the control name was where the error relates to? Was it some ZO_Whatever_Control or an AddonName1_Control or similar?

That way you could get back to the addon that causes it and maybe the dev can fix it then.
04/27/23, 11:27 AM   #3
Anceane

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Could be, not sure. ZOs would have to answer this.
Are you abe to see from the log what the control name was where the error relates to? Was it some ZO_Whatever_Control or an AddonName1_Control or similar?

That way you could get back to the addon that causes it and maybe the dev can fix it then.
There was two ZO :
Code:
2023-04-27T03:04:12.546-05:00 |cff0000Gui Warning: ZO_ActiveCombatTipsTip has a set width but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use resizeToFitConstrains="Y".|r
2023-04-27T03:04:12.546-05:00 |cff0000Gui Warning: ZO_ActiveCombatTipsTip has a set height but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use resizeToFitConstrains="X".|r
and some addons like BRPHelper, EHT, CQT and each time there was a panel indicated like this :
Code:
2023-04-27T03:03:53.291-05:00 |cff0000Gui Warning: BRHelperWin1 has a set width but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use resizeToFitConstrains="Y".|r
2023-04-27T03:03:53.291-05:00 |cff0000Gui Warning: BRHelperWin1 has a set height but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use resizeToFitConstrains="X".|r
There is more and i dont want to post a wall of this :P

As there was two weeks ago bad weather and 2 major crash of my game, this morning i redownload the addons pointed, and made new savedvar in case those suffered for those crash.

And i will play doing almost the same things to see the result.

Will keep this post updated, Too bad that Libdebug dont see those as bug
04/27/23, 01:23 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Too bad that Libdebug dont see those as bug
LibDebugLogger can only log lua error messages or messages that are posted to the chat, but those are totally different messages that the client thus saves to a different file and folder (no addon access there).
04/27/23, 01:26 PM   #5
Anceane

Update

After checking that i had for all addons the last version, the good lib too, and traveling as i did yesterday, i still have the issue, and more addons even with the warning.

Any idea would be welcome so i dont crash anymore

Thank you

Tried to check on an addon with only 1 warning, but this is way out of my knowledge.

My issue is that the file is growing each time i log a character (doing dailies is a killer after 3 characters) : I will delete the interface.log after 2 characters and as EHT is the biggest one with warnings i will just unload the addon and upload it only when i do housing

Last edited by Anceane : 04/27/23 at 02:04 PM.
04/27/23, 03:19 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm not sure the crash happens because of these messages though, they are only "hints" to the devs/ZOs.
I'm pretty sure the crash happens because of an addon itsself then.

I'd check which of the addons names is generating the most errors and disable that at least. Maybe it will fix the crash then at least.
If not, disable the 2nd most named addon, and so on.

And those addons, with the most named entries in the log file, should get a comment from you describing how to rebuild these log entries, and copy them there for the dev so she/he can see what to change at which control.

Explanation:
>has a set height but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use resizeToFitConstrains="X"
Means that the dev has used a fixed <dimensions width="number" height="number"> in the XML definition of his control,
or he used the lua code to set <control>:SetDimensions(numberWidth, numberHeight).
But he also enabled the resizeToFitDescendents ="true" or <control>:SetResizeToFitDescendents(true)
which should resize the control if the parent control resizes.

That won't happen though as the dimensions were set as fixed width and height.
So the dev needs to either disable resizeToFitDescendents on these controls or disable the fixed dimensions and use dimension constrainst (maximum width and height but no minimum), or in addition to the resizeToFitDescendents="true" also specify resizeToFitConstrains="x" or "y" to tell the code that the control can resize on the x (width) or y (height) axis up to the constraints that were set.

Last edited by Baertram : 04/27/23 at 03:25 PM.
04/27/23, 09:40 PM   #7
Anceane

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I'm not sure the crash happens because of these messages though, they are only "hints" to the devs/ZOs.
I'm pretty sure the crash happens because of an addon itsself then.

I'd check which of the addons names is generating the most errors and disable that at least. Maybe it will fix the crash then at least.
If not, disable the 2nd most named addon, and so on.

And those addons, with the most named entries in the log file, should get a comment from you describing how to rebuild these log entries, and copy them there for the dev so she/he can see what to change at which control.

Explanation:
>has a set height but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use resizeToFitConstrains="X"
Means that the dev has used a fixed <dimensions width="number" height="number"> in the XML definition of his control,
or he used the lua code to set <control>:SetDimensions(numberWidth, numberHeight).
But he also enabled the resizeToFitDescendents ="true" or <control>:SetResizeToFitDescendents(true)
which should resize the control if the parent control resizes.

That won't happen though as the dimensions were set as fixed width and height.
So the dev needs to either disable resizeToFitDescendents on these controls or disable the fixed dimensions and use dimension constrainst (maximum width and height but no minimum), or in addition to the resizeToFitDescendents="true" also specify resizeToFitConstrains="x" or "y" to tell the code that the control can resize on the x (width) or y (height) axis up to the constraints that were set.
Thank you so much!! years passed and you are always the same, willing to help and doing your best! And the older old Gran'Ma feels again less old :P

So as i said above, i unloaded EHT. I will take all the messages warning concerning this addon and post them into the comments section (though unfortunatly and without any bad meaning, i think that will not help a lot as we have so few update and or presence for their authors. But, lets keep hope, i will do it.

As for the understanding of the Resize..... may be husband could perhaps eventually in any case throw an eye on it, after all he is programmer and coulddddddd check a bit that lua :P

UPDATE : after searching with notepad++ the
Code:
2023-04-27T03:04:12.546-05:00 |cff0000Gui Warning: ZO_ActiveCombatTipsTip has a set width but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use resizeToFitConstrains="Y".|r
2023-04-27T03:04:12.546-05:00 |cff0000Gui Warning: ZO_ActiveCombatTipsTip has a set height but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use resizeToFitConstrains="X".|r
concerne LUI Extended combat module - I know i dont use this module, so even if not used, the function using this can still create warnings ? so strange

Last edited by Anceane : 04/28/23 at 01:01 AM. Reason: UPDATE
04/28/23, 02:35 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I think those lines in the log is created by "scanning" the lua/xml code in the lua and xml files of all of your addons that get loaded.
It does not matter if the particular part is enabled by the addon setitngs then in the end.
If it's in the file and it's wrong, it will be in the logs.

Maybe there is other stuff around it which will only scan it once triggered, so maybe LUI even triggers that code if disabled in the settings.
Some things are so called "hooks" e.g. where original (vanilla) code is "hooked" and your addon code runs first, then it calls/suppresses the original code.
Example:
Hook into the combat warnings of ZOs (Block!, Dodge! etc.) and supress 2 of 4 based on your addon settings.

So this might be the reason why the log file shows these lines, as it will be triggered but not really used in your case.

btw: Thanks for the flowers, it's always fun to help, especially if the ones you help are kind too ;-)
Do a good deed every day
04/28/23, 10:21 AM   #9
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
I've asked QA to look into if there's an uptick in crashes on PTS. If you can send me some information I can look it up faster:

Is this on PTS or Live?
Are you on NA or EU?
What is your character name?
What is your account name?

You can private message me the information if that would make you more comfortable, or message me on the gitter/element/matrix addon dev chat, or just reply here.

In regard to that warning, its really more for my team than for addon devs, which is why it doesn't pop up as an obnoxious UI error for ya'll. As Baertram explained, because you've specified resize and a fixed dimension, the two notions are counter to each other, and the behavior won't do what you might expect it to, namely it won't do what it used to do. So the warning there is to catch places where that is happening so the dev can look at that code and decide if they did it on purpose or if its a mistake. And you can suppress the warning by using resizeToFitConstrains to make it explicit. But the warning itself should not cause anything to crash.
04/28/23, 12:25 PM   #10
Anceane

Originally Posted by ZOS_DanBatson View Post
I've asked QA to look into if there's an uptick in crashes on PTS. If you can send me some information I can look it up faster:

Is this on PTS or Live?
Are you on NA or EU?
What is your character name?
What is your account name?

You can private message me the information if that would make you more comfortable, or message me on the gitter/element/matrix addon dev chat, or just reply here.

In regard to that warning, its really more for my team than for addon devs, which is why it doesn't pop up as an obnoxious UI error for ya'll. As Baertram explained, because you've specified resize and a fixed dimension, the two notions are counter to each other, and the behavior won't do what you might expect it to, namely it won't do what it used to do. So the warning there is to catch places where that is happening so the dev can look at that code and decide if they did it on purpose or if its a mistake. And you can suppress the warning by using resizeToFitConstrains to make it explicit. But the warning itself should not cause anything to crash.
Thank you for the explanation and i messaged you privately all the informations you asked
I remembered i took a picture one time on the crashing moment, so i joined it in a second mail

Last edited by Anceane : 04/28/23 at 08:46 PM.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » has a set height but has resizeToFitDescendents enabled. If this is intended, use res