05/20/14, 06:12 AM   #1
Tonyleila

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
LF clever AddOn Menu solution!

So its getting more and more AddOns to scroll through in the ESO AddOns Menu..
I want all of you to help finding a better way to display or find addons in this menu.

Currently there are several solutions to deal with the amount of AddOns showing up in the menu:
1. AddOn names in special colors to make them more visible
2. All of the Authors AddOns showing up inside one of the menu items
3. Using OptionsRestacker to sort the menu
4. Options menu opening via slash command or just chat commands

I'm not very pleased with all of the Authors AddOns showing up in same menu because:
1. I have many different addons and mostly one on addon from every Author
2. I can remember Authors names but I can't say what AddOn is from what Author
3. Addon menu looks like this: Vicster's, Wykkyd, Ak0's, Garkin's, Haven's, Luminary...
I think thats even worse then having 5 more addons with the right names in the list!
4. AddOns in the same menu that have nothing in common exapt the Author

An easy doable (I hope) idea woud be a search bar that also searches for addons names in the Addon list. It shoud be possible to search for the Authors name OR the real AddOn name. I can't say if this is even possible.

The other Idea woud be to give all AddOns "classes" like here on ESO UI.
Then all addons with similar purpose coud be in the same Class and we woud get a very clean and small menu:
One classes for Tooltips, one for Map, one for unitframes and combat, chat mods, Miscellaneous, ...
I guess it woud need a rewrite of LibAddOn Menu or even an action from all AddOn Authors to give ther addon a class to make all simmilar addons show up in the same sub-menu.

What do you think? Woud that work? Do you have a better solution?

Last edited by Tonyleila : 05/20/14 at 06:18 AM.
05/20/14, 06:27 AM   #2
skyraker
Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
an action from all AddOn Authors to give ther addon a class to make all simmilar addons show up in the same sub-menu.
This is where the problem lies. Would require us authors to agree on specific names for our addons to be categorized under.
05/21/14, 11:51 AM   #3
Sephiroth018

Originally Posted by skyraker View Post
This is where the problem lies. Would require us authors to agree on specific names for our addons to be categorized under.
A solution for this would be to use the same categories as the addon uses on esoui (and of course let addons be listed under multiple categories, if the addon is that big/multifunctional).
05/21/14, 12:15 PM   #4
Tonyleila

Originally Posted by Sephiroth018 View Post
A solution for this would be to use the same categories as the addon uses on esoui (and of course let addons be listed under multiple categories, if the addon is that big/multifunctional).
No don't think that woud be a good idea. Better the addons main purpose and if the addon dosen't fit in any list it in Miscellaneous
05/21/14, 12:38 PM   #5
Stormknight

I'm not sure that hunting through categories to find the setting for the addon is actually better than scrolling through the list.

From a usability perspective, my personal preference is that each addon has it's own settings page and it's labelled with the exact same name as the addon so I don't have to remember who the author is.

Scrolling really isn't that much effort.

For me, the only really issue is that addons aren't listed alphabetically, but Options Restacker takes care of that.
05/21/14, 02:48 PM   #6
Sephiroth018

Originally Posted by Stormknight View Post
From a usability perspective, my personal preference is that each addon has it's own settings page and it's labelled with the exact same name as the addon so I don't have to remember who the author is.
That is really necessary, it's easier to remember an addon name then an author name.

Originally Posted by Stormknight View Post
I'm not sure that hunting through categories to find the setting for the addon is actually better than scrolling through the list.
Make it configurable, so you can choose to have it categorized or not. I find it easier to search something by it's job instead of having to remember (most of) the whole name.

Some other thing that I would also really like: Stop making addons with configurations and then let them only be set by a console command. That's really annoying, I have to look on the addon page every time I want to change something for such an addon (if I even know that addon has that feature configurable)

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » LF clever AddOn Menu solution!