05/05/14, 06:13 AM   #1
lyravega
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Uhh... I broke something

Whenever I press ESC, an error pops up related to ChatWindow. There are no add-ons enabled. Is this the same for everyone? I'm assuming that I broke something, how to reset everything to default, is there an .ini file or something that keeps all the user settings and stuff?

edit: I am aware of saved variables, cleaning it didn't help.

Last edited by lyravega : 05/05/14 at 08:48 AM.
05/05/14, 10:25 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Well..... What is the error? Did you try disabling addons?
05/06/14, 12:53 PM   #3
lyravega
It started to bug the sh*t out of me, so I am doing a complete reinstall...

The error was "nil" something this and that... Complete gibberish. And it was persisting even when there was 0 active add-ons, persisted even after I deleted all the savedvariables. Nothing helped.

Funny thing is, it was happening only on one character, so I think it saved itself to one of the setting files. Do you know where I can find the file responsible from holding out data, such as keybindings?
05/06/14, 04:05 PM   #4
stjobe

Originally Posted by lyravega View Post
The error was "nil" something this and that... Complete gibberish.
Well, it might not be "complete gibberish" to everyone

Perhaps we could have saved you the reinstall (and more importantly, that 30 GB redownload...)
05/07/14, 04:46 AM   #5
Roupine
Whenever I press ESC, an error pops up related to ChatWindow. There are no add-ons enabled. Is this the same for everyone? I'm assuming that I broke something, how to reset everything to default, is there an .ini file or something that keeps all the user settings and stuff?

edit: I am aware of saved variables, cleaning it didn't help.
I had a similar problem when I accidentally created an empty and tab-less chat container. Even after deleting the empty container and deleting my SavedVariables, the problem persisted.

What I ended up doing was using RemoveChatContainer() and RemoveChatContainerTab() to remove ALL chat containers and tabs and then re-adding one container, then one tab. The problems with deleting all of your chat containers are, of course, that the chat entry box has nothing to attach to so you have to type in the /script commands blind, and you're spammed with UI errors the whole time.

But it saves time on a re-install. I couldn't find where the setting was saved, and hadn't given ResetToDefaultSettings() a try.
05/08/14, 04:29 AM   #6
lyravega
Originally Posted by Roupine View Post
I had a similar problem when I accidentally created an empty and tab-less chat container. Even after deleting the empty container and deleting my SavedVariables, the problem persisted.

What I ended up doing was using RemoveChatContainer() and RemoveChatContainerTab() to remove ALL chat containers and tabs and then re-adding one container, then one tab. The problems with deleting all of your chat containers are, of course, that the chat entry box has nothing to attach to so you have to type in the /script commands blind, and you're spammed with UI errors the whole time.

But it saves time on a re-install. I couldn't find where the setting was saved, and hadn't given ResetToDefaultSettings() a try.
Do you remember exact names of the commands? Oh, also, problem persists even after a full reinstall.
05/08/14, 08:35 AM   #7
lyravega
Alright, I managed to destroy it with this

Code:
/script CHAT_SYSTEM:DestroyContainer(CHAT_SYSTEM.containers[2])
whew...
05/08/14, 12:08 PM   #8
Roupine
Alright, I managed to destroy it with this

Code:
/script CHAT_SYSTEM:DestroyContainer(CHAT_SYSTEM.containers[2])
whew...
Woo!

I was going to say something more foolproof like:

Code:
/script for i=GetNumChatContainers(),1,-1 do for j=GetNumChatContainerTabs(i),1, -1 do RemoveChatContainerTab(i,j) end RemoveChatContainer(i) end AddChatContainer(); AddChatContainerTab(1,"Chat")
That assumes that the chat container and tab indices are in order. It doesn't appear to do anything until you /reloadui but it should reset the chat containers/tabs
05/08/14, 12:47 PM   #9
lyravega
Yeah thanks man. I was suspicious of an empty container after you said it and then I noticed an empty chat window behind the real one showing itself when an error occurs.

I inspected Zgoo a little, and found out that I had 2 containers instead of just 1. Assuming 1 is the default one, 2 was the choice

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Uhh... I broke something