11/24/23, 12:14 AM   #1
Smugger21

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
LibQuestData Comments Closed? (SOLVED: Unaware Event Codes passed on all events)

EDIT:
Sharlikran made me aware of something I did not know.
Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
Events always have an event code not shown in the ESO documentation that most authors know is present. Which is why that's there.
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Originally Posted by Smugger21 View Post
Guess that would be helpful information in the documentation, but now I know this will sure help me out.
Good point, as we cannot change the API documentation Pxx.txt files I added that as bold info to the Wiki Event introduction page:
https://wiki.esoui.com/Events#Introduction
ORIGINAL POST:

I went to post in LibQuestData here: https://esoui.com/downloads/info2625....html#comments
However the comment section is closed and I found and Error in the code:
In LibQuestData_Scan.lua on Line 178,
It Accepts 2 arguments, however the calling event only returns 1 value!

Here is the code:
Lua Code:
  1. local function OnQuestCompleteDialog(eventCode, journalIndex)
  2.   --d("OnQuestCompleteDialog")
  3.   local numRewards = GetJournalQuestNumRewards(journalIndex)
  4.   if numRewards <= 0 then return end
  5.   reward = {}
  6.   for i = 1, numRewards do
  7.     local rewardType = GetJournalQuestRewardInfo(journalIndex, i)
  8.     table.insert(reward, rewardType)
  9.   end
  10. end
  11. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent(lib.libName, EVENT_QUEST_COMPLETE_DIALOG, OnQuestCompleteDialog) -- Verified

It needs to be this:
Lua Code:
  1. local function OnQuestCompleteDialog(journalIndex)
  2.   --d("OnQuestCompleteDialog")
  3.   local numRewards = GetJournalQuestNumRewards(journalIndex)
  4.   if numRewards <= 0 then return end
  5.   reward = {}
  6.   for i = 1, numRewards do
  7.     local rewardType = GetJournalQuestRewardInfo(journalIndex, i)
  8.     table.insert(reward, rewardType)
  9.   end
  10. end
  11. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent(lib.libName, EVENT_QUEST_COMPLETE_DIALOG, OnQuestCompleteDialog) -- Verified

This is because the ESOUIDocumentation.txt posted by sirinsidiator here: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showpos...14&postcount=1
States this as the event:
Code:
EVENT_QUEST_COMPLETE_DIALOG (*luaindex* _journalIndex_)
I posted an issue on the GitHub Page, just not sure why the comments are closed for this Addon though...

Last edited by Smugger21 : 11/27/23 at 01:12 AM.
11/24/23, 01:21 AM   #2
Sharlikran

The comments are closed due to unresolved issues that I care not to discuss. However, sometimes the posts I get from users are also argumentative and the user just wants to start a fight.

Your comment is fine and I don't have an issue with it. You don't seem like the users I'm talking about.

However, I'm also kind of enjoying having the comments closed as I usually know what is going on in the ESO world even if I'm not updating mods at the time. In some cases the mods are functioning exactly how I want and people just don't realize that and the suggestions don't fit the intention of the mod so I'm not really willing to make the changes.

Can you explain why you are sharing that information about OnQuestCompleteDialog? Events always have an event code not shown in the ESO documentation that most authors know is present. Which is why that's there.

Just so you are aware, I'm not looking for any help with the library at all. I'm not worried about the tracking at this time or the changes in U40. Most of the changes don't affect the library. I'm not even taking the auto submissions at this time because some users have had the library running for so long it has a lot of outdated information in their saved variables file. Mass importing quest info creates too many issues now.

There are a few people that I have worked with in the past that I accept files from because they understand things better having more experience with things.

Last edited by Sharlikran : 11/24/23 at 01:48 AM.
11/24/23, 02:12 AM   #3
Smugger21

Hey, thank you very much for your reply and the information, I was not aware that the Event Code was passed on all events also, I see that now.

Well, Ignore everything I said then, lol. Guess that would be helpful information in the documentation, but now I know this will sure help me out.
11/24/23, 03:26 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Good point, as we cannot change the API documentation Pxx.txt files I added that as bold info to the Wiki Event introduction page:
https://wiki.esoui.com/Events#Introduction
11/26/23, 09:53 AM   #5
WolfStark
Help with the LibQuestData Update

Good Morning,
I wanted to see if there was anything I could do different or is this issue something that could be fixed. I will do my best to explain so bare with me LOL. This happened with other addons in the past and Ive had to disable or delete all together. Its a bit of a challenge to rule out which is the issue but Ive managed to do so and the LibQuestData update done on 11/24/23 has caused the problem.
I always play a combination of keyboard and Gamepad mode using Bandits UI. What is happening is the skills bar keeps jumping to center screen Every Time I switch between keyboard and gamepad. I have to constantly hit Esc or hit Menu Button on my controller to clear this. I go between to two all the time because I enjoy using controller for gameplay, but like using Keyboard with the addons I have for my inventory, Guild things, BeamMeUp, Etc Etc.
Once I deleted this updated addon the issue went away. Im reaching out in hopes that you know a way to fix it so I will be able to continue using the MapQuest Addon.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
WolfStark
11/26/23, 11:35 AM   #6
WolfStark
While I understand what you are saying, and sure it makes complete sense! I dont completely disagree with you. BUT I was actively playing when this started. I seen 2 addons update on Minions around the exact time it happened. ONLY after deleting this one it fixed the issue. It is not user error, I can assure you that. I have no explanation as to why it does this with gamepad mode or using Bandits but it does. I was hoping you may shed some light on that since your latest update stated this addon was conflicting with another name, maybe something within that change triggered it. Maybe some coding change on this one is conflicting with another addon I have not just the gamepad mode or Bandits UI. Im not sure but its most certainly this addon that has started the issue after this update. Ive had addons in the past do the same thing so when I deleted it that fixed the issue. Like I said it could be Another addon conflicting with this one. Ive not taken a poll with other users to see if they have the same issue thats using this one, but would be happy to do so to find the root cause. I like using this addon and would love to keep it. I can prove that its fine while this (LibMapQuest) is deleted but as soon as I install it again and try to play, it makes my skill Bar Jump. Thought it would be nice for the creator to be aware if there is a potential issue. Other than that I will just not use the addon unless it stops flipping my bar LOL If you by chance come across a potential issue other than user error, I would love to hear!
Thanks
11/26/23, 12:38 PM   #7
WolfStark
in no way was I trying to be rude. I was un aware the previous comment that stated user error was from a clip of someone complaining. I was simply trying to figure this out so I could actually use the addon.

Its odd that is only started happening after this Lib was updated and worked fine after Lib was deleted so its difficult to not think its that Lib...thats why I was reaching out. Not to attack but to figure out if I could continue to use this.
11/26/23, 02:29 PM   #8
WolfStark
ok so doing these steps will provide me what information? The answer to the issue or what the issue is?
Thanks for the help
11/26/23, 06:57 PM   #9
Sharlikran

The quest mods and libraries won't cause your issue.

https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10731 You can read what iccohen said if you like or you can provide the link and the screen shot then we can go from there.

Provide a link to LibDebugLogger.lua located in your SavedVariables folder. To provide a link go to Sirinsidiator's Log Viewer, wait for it to process, and in the upper right under Sharing click Upload. Then attach a screen shot with the path showing in the upper corner.
11/27/23, 03:56 AM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by WolfStark View Post
Its odd that is only started happening after this Lib was updated and worked fine after Lib was deleted so its difficult to not think its that Lib...thats why I was reaching out. Not to attack but to figure out if I could continue to use this.
As this library is not related to any action and action bar changes you'd better address that at the Bandit's UI addon as this is "jumping on your screen".
This library here "may" only be related because ANY addon uses it and that addon messes with the action bars too. So check which addons are using LibQuestData if you are sure "disabling the library fixes the issue". It's not the library itsself then causing this as it "only contains quest related data".

As Sharlikran said at best read how iccohen solved it together with Sharlikran and provide the files and info he asked for, so he can have a look. But most probably either Bandit's UI (which got a recent update too! So make sure you update it) or any other addon is cuasing this for you.
11/27/23, 06:07 AM   #11
Sharlikran

Beartram as I have tried to explain to WolfStark LibQuestData is only used by QuestMap and Destinations that I am aware of. I know you use Destinations but I don't think you use Bandits UI or a controller.

Users I have been helping recently like iccohen and SoSparkly from a guild I am in and a few others were reporting issues that could not happen in the first place.

Iccohen had an error on a line where the code was "end" and SoSparkly had an issue with AGS that made the screen go blank and the menu no longer appeared. As I have stressed with WolfStark these users did not need the mod author to make any code changes to the mods themselves. None of the mods were malfunctioning. With the exception of iccohen who had an outdated version of BugCatcher with LibAddonMenu 1.0 loading via LibStub.

WolfStark could have other issues because he switches back and forth between Gamepad and Keyboard. As you and I both know there will be Lua errors because most mods don't support Gamepad mode. Most authors don't add code to prevent the Lua errors even if that means the mod doesn't function while Gamepad mode is active.

WolfStark is trying to politely report an error and feels that "I", "the creator" should be aware of it and he is just trying to find a way to keep using the quest mod because he enjoys the mod. He simply doesn't want the skill bar to jump to the center of the screen. Which would never happen with QuestMap, Destinations, or LibQuestData because they don't alter anything about the skills bar or its position.

User Perception

The obstacle is that users usually feel since they disabled the library and that resolved the issue it has to be the cause and if they provide information the author can fix the code. They feel that since they are not mod authors and don't write code they are just doing their best and asking for help from other people. I can sympathize with that.

What they don't understand is that most issues happen because of OneDrive, LibStub, and embedded libraries causing all sorts of conflicts. In addition to that users install mods like BugCatcher and BugEater and feel that because no Lua errors show up and the game works that everything is okay when those mods just hide the errors and conflicts. If that's not the case then it's mods that really are not supported for users switching between Keyboard and Gamepad mode.

I wish I could help users understand that there is no simple way to address each user’s unique issues because each user will have a different situation. Unfortunately there are no self help posts or videos that will directly and easily address any issue in a way they expect.

StickyPosts for Addon Help

Sure they can read the sticky posts but again they want a simple direct and easy to understand solution to their individual issue which they feel is unique to them and not addressed in any of the sticky posts. I understand their frustration but they need to understand that there is no one post or simple solution. They have to read and try things and use self help documents and it could take hours or days for them to do.

WolfStark could read all those sticky posts but it's much easier to provide the LibDebugLogger link and the screenshot and see if there is anything that stands out. In the end there is no guarantee that the issue is something someone can spot in a forum.
11/27/23, 08:31 AM   #12
WolfStark
Ok I will Follow these instructions and see what I can make happen
I have an extremely busy 2 weeks so I will try to tackle this!

Thank You again for the assistance.

Baertram....

As far as Bandits I have all my addons set to auto update, I can go back and see which ones update at the dates and times they do so. This was how I was able to disable certain add ons to see which one was on while the Bar was jumping. It was a process of elimination that at the time did fix the issue..... FOR NOW lol lets just say that because it makes absolutely NO SENSE but its Bugging out somehow and Im determined to fix it in order to use Map Quest.... this addon is great and I do use it often.

The last addon this happened with was a Lib for a fast travel addon that had to do with guild house or port to friend. I wish I could remember but it was this same situation, I installed then added the dependency Lib and ...Bar Jump LOL

Hopefully I will be back soon with answers or screenshots to decifer. Thanks Again!
11/27/23, 10:18 AM   #13
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
The last addon this happened with was a Lib for a fast travel addon that had to do with guild house or port to friend. I wish I could remember but it was this same situation, I installed then added the dependency Lib and ...Bar Jump LOL
If this happens with different libraries and different addons then you might have a general issue there with any addon that actually "makes the bar's position changable".
If this is only happening e.g. if Bandit's UI is enabled (cuz vanilla game cannot change the position of the action bar) it might be just a generic issue with your Bandit's UI settings not saved properly, or any other error that occurs invisible.
Did you try to reset your SV for bandit's and check if this fixes it?

I cannot imagine, even I can say "I can tell you for sure" that any unrelated libraries like this LibQuestData or LibFastravel or whatever got anyhting to do with your jumping action bars. This must be co incidence (unless you downloaded any update of libraries and/or addons manually and it somehow f*d he addons folder, or you got a funny version of an addon where they change your action bars by coincidence ).

What I normally do in such weird cases is:
1. Logout, close game
2. Remove the total folder live/AddOns by renaming it to Addons_Backup
3. Manually download BanditsUI and needed libraries and extarct manually to live/AddOns (create the empty folder before) so that it contains
live/AddOns/BanditsUserInterface and live/AddOns/LibAddonMenu-2.0 and so on
4. Rename your live/SavedVariables folder to SavedVariables_backup
5. Start the game and configure BanditsUI to what you need and check if the bouncing action bars are back
6. Close the game again.
7. Manually install "Quest Map" and "LibQuestData" etc.
8. Start the game and enable the addons all together
9. Check if the bouncing action bars are back

If yes: Describe how to rebuild that error from login to error in simple steps 1, 2, 3
And link the LibDebugLogger file as Sharlikran asked for.

If no: Any other addon or broken SV files of BUI etc. caused that.
Try to logout and install other addons you had from before too.
DO NOT COPY OVER FROM OLD live/AddOns_Backup! Fresh install, via Minion or manually.
If you cannot find it anymore at Minion, do not use it anymore!
Why? Because of this: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9149

You can use an addon like "Addon Selector" ingame to save profiles/packs so you can easily switch enabled addons. It will also automatically enable the needed dependencies (if installed) for you!
That way testing which addon causes it is easier to do.

And in the end I'm pretty sure we will find out it was not related to any library but either BUI or SVs borked or any other UI related addon that coies your settings (account wide settings et such), or similar UI related addons and stuff.

Hope you'll find the bugger fast, all the best!

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » LibQuestData Comments Closed?