07/16/14, 01:22 AM   #1
Hein
Getting External Data

Hi All
I have only recently started dabbling in the arts of creating addons and to be honest, i am still a bay at it. The reason for this is i am trying to create an addon for our Guild that is capible of displaying an event. When i say an event I refer to an Guild Event.
Now i have given this some thought, but before i can get ther i need to know on how to make an simple addon.
Is it at all possible for an addon to pull info from an external datasource such as an example ad MySQL table hosted or even an Exel doc and display this in game.
07/16/14, 02:09 AM   #2
Harven

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hey,
unfortunately there is no way to read/write external files (excep saved variables file) nor to use sockets. The API is very restricted. You can only use saved variables table which is synchronized with physical file at some points (login, /reloadui, logout).
You will find some tutorials on the wiki: http://wiki.esoui.com/
07/16/14, 02:24 AM   #3
Sasky
As Harvin noted, you can't have external access.

However, you can list events in the guild message of the day field (which would also work without an addon).

You could create an addon to help a guildleader or officer with keeping that up to date:
  • Define events beforehand (including recurring)
  • The addon updates next 3 (or however many. I don't know max length for field) events in field
  • Addon auto-removes old events.

If you had the events listed in a certain format (either above or created externally), you could create an addon for users that:
  • Displays upcoming events at login
  • Displays say a 15 minute warning for events

Not nearly as efficient to update as if you could pull from a guild website, but still stuff you could work on.

Edit: Also, seen the guild mailing addon used for sending out notifications of upcoming events, for something that exists currently.

Last edited by Sasky : 07/16/14 at 02:28 AM.
07/16/14, 02:33 AM   #4
Hein
Unhappy

Thanks Guys
It is a pitty that it cannot be done. Thanks for the assistants though.
07/26/14, 12:51 AM   #5
Fyrakin

Well, technically, the only way it could be possible to do - by making clipboard listener service to communicate with external sources but unfortunately only one way.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Getting External Data